Friday, June 18, 2010

Wedding Socks

I'm knitting these black socks for Evan to wear to my sister's wedding
- which was on May 29. It's taking a bit longer than I anticipated.
One is done (and already being used as a toy for Evan on th living
room floor somewhere - I'd never have guessed he'd like playing with a
sock so much). I think I figured out why these socks are taking so
long. I'm using yarn that I thought was fingering weight with size 1
needles (I lost the label - I just know it's Rowan) and I'm suspecting
now that it's more like Sport. This makes the sock extremely thick
and cushy, but the knitting of the sock is torture on my hands, arms,
and back. That may sound funny, but if you try knitting a sport
weight wool on 4" DPNs in size 1, you'll see what I mean within 5
minutes. My coworker (and fellow knitter), David, said I need to give
up - but my perfectionist nature will not allow me to knit just one
perfectly good black sock for Evan, and not finish the other one. I
don't know why I ever thought knitting was relaxing. I'd say my next
project will be simple, except that I have to finish the sleeves of a
Norweigan cardi and then steek and sew the damn thing before Evan gets
too big to ever wear it. I think I started it in '07 or '08.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Taji,

    Wow you knit? Can you teach me how once winter comes??? I love to knit. My mom is good at knitting but I did not have a lot og chance to learn from her. I cannot wait to see the end product.

    ReplyDelete